A drug charge is any allegation involving the selling, possession with intent to sell, possession, manufacturing, trafficking, buying, or distributing of an illegal controlled substance. This includes prescription drugs that are not prescribed to you, as well as simulated drugs such as synthetic marijuana.
Minnesota Controlled Substance Laws
MN has several different levels of drugs charges including serious felony controlled substance charges, gross misdemeanor and misdemeanor charges, and petty misdemeanor small amount of marijuana charges. Of the felony drug charges, 1st degree drug charges are the most serious and fifth degree is the least serious of the felony controlled substance charges.
- 1st Degree Controlled Substance Charges
- 2nd Degree Controlled Substance Charges
- 3rd Degree Controlled Substance Charges
- 4th Degree Controlled Substance Charges
- 5th Degree Controlled Substance Charges
The risks and exposure involving allegations of selling or possession with intent to sell drugs is much more serious than a bare drug possession charge. Most of the MN drug laws punish sellers much more harshly than those who only use and possess controlled substances. If you are being accused of selling or possessing with intent to sell, the quantity of drugs needed by the government to prove a certain level of drug offense is less than those quantities needed to prove under Minnesota’s drug possession laws.
Additionally, for controlled substance sales charges, each charge is for an allegation of selling during a 90-day period. What that means is if the State of Minnesota is accusing you of multiple sales of controlled substances over a period time exceeding 90 days, they are permitted to file separate charges or even separate cases for each 90-day time period. This type of charging can present unique defense challenges as multiple drug charges and cases can trigger mandatory minimum prison sentences, and even consecutive sentences in some circumstances.
DEFENDING AGAINST CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE CHARGES IN MN
If you are facing drug charges in Minnesota, choosing the right lawyer to fight for you makes all the difference in your case. If you are have been arrested and charged with a controlled substance crime in MN, you could be looking at several years behind bars, heavy fines, and public record of a drug conviction that can affect your ability to find job and housing, or to obtain financial aid. Additionally, a drug conviction in Minnesota can result in collateral consequences, such as losing your right to purchase and possess a firearm.
In some instances, you may be under investigation for some controlled substance offense for a number of months before any arrests are made or charges against you are filed. In addition to representation in court through a jury trial, Coley also offers legal services for individuals seeking pre-charge counsel before or during a DEA, drug task force, or police investigations. If you are concerned about your legal rights, contact Minneapolis drug lawyer Coley Grostyan today to discuss the appropriate steps to protect your rights.
YOUR FUTURE AT RISK
Because so much is at risk, it is essential that you have an experienced and aggressive drug defense attorney like Coley Grostyan who has a proven record of obtaining the best possible outcome, and protecting his client’s legal rights and public reputation.
MINNEAPOLIS CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYER, COLEY J. GROSTYAN DEFENDS AGAINST ALL DRUG CHARGES AND INVESTIGATIONS IN MINNESOTA AND FEDERAL COURT:
- Federal drug conspiracies
- Illegal drug sales charges
- Illegal drug possession
- Drug seizures and forfeitures
- Drug possession charges
- Drug Sales
- Importing, transporting and trafficking drugs
- Methamphetamine manufacture, sale, possession
- Marijuana possession, sale, and grow operations
- Synthetic cannabinoids (e.g., K2, Spice, herbal incense) related charges
- Bath salts manufacturing, selling, possession
- Drug conspiracy
- Heroin, codeine, oxycodone, morphine, opium, and other opiate drug related charges
- LSD, psilocybin mushroom, mescaline (peyote), and other psychedelic and psychoactive drug related charges
- MDMA (ecstasy) sale and possession
- Salvia divinorum possession and sale crimes
- Drug manufacturing including cannabis grows
- Simulated controlled substance sale charges
- Unlawful possession or sale of prescription drugs
- Cathinone possession and sale
- Ketamine related drug charges
- Driving related drug crimes – driving under the influence of drugs
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
Do not accept defeat – consult with Minneapolis criminal defense lawyer to discuss your legal rights and your options now. If you are convicted of a drug crime, you could be looking at a permanent mark on your criminal record and significant time in prison. Because your criminal record can be accessed by potential landlords, employers, schools and lending companies, your opportunities for employment, housing, financial aid are at risk if you are facing drug charges.
CONTACT EXPERIENCED DRUG DEFENSE LAWYER, COLEY J. GROSTYAN
Coley J. Grostyan’s years of aggressive, professional criminal defense representation has a proven record of successful results for his clients facing drug charges. Contact Coley directly at 612-747-2254.